student portal/news

SPORTSEPL: Manchester United Reveals Plan To Replace Rashford With Dembele

Following a 2-0 loss to Liverpool on Sunday evening, the English Premier League side, Manchester United have set their gaze on to getting French professional footballer and Lyon’s forward, Moussa Dembele, to take the place of their forward who is currently off from the pitch.

Naija News understands that the ‘Red Devils’ are ready to spend £42m to sign the striker.

However, according to reports by the Daily Mail, Lyon is not ready to let go of the French star, as revealed by Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas.

It is also understood that Chelsea FC club is also in a bid to sign Dembele too with a deal of £34m this month, although the offer that was rejected.

Reacting to Dembele leaving Lyon at the moment, Aulas said, “We want to keep Moussa Dembele and Lucas Tousart. For me, they will both stay. Now is not the time to weaken.”

Meanwhile, Manchester United midfielder, Paul Pogba, has been advised by the club former defender, Patrice Evra, to leave the club immediately to end the reports around him at Old Trafford.



Following a 2-0 loss to Liverpool on Sunday evening, the English Premier League side, Manchester United have set their gaze on to getting French professional footballer and Lyon’s forward, Moussa Dembele, to take the place of their forward who is currently off from the pitch.

Naija News understands that the ‘Red Devils’ are ready to spend £42m to sign the striker.

However, according to reports by the Daily Mail, Lyon is not ready to let go of the French star, as revealed by Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas.

It is also understood that Chelsea FC club is also in a bid to sign Dembele too with a deal of £34m this month, although the offer that was rejected.

Reacting to Dembele leaving Lyon at the moment, Aulas said, “We want to keep Moussa Dembele and Lucas Tousart. For me, they will both stay. Now is not the time to weaken.”

Meanwhile, Manchester United midfielder, Paul Pogba, has been advised by the club former defender, Patrice Evra, to leave the club immediately to end the reports around him at Old Trafford.

The Red Devils ex-left back stated this after Roy Keane criticised Pogba after their 2-0 defeat to Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.

Keane while speaking with Sky Sport had described the world cup winner as a ‘nuisance’ at Old Trafford.

student portal/news

Richarlison to commit to Everton despite Manchester United interest in 2019.

This year Richarlison is close to signing a new five-year contract with Everton despite interest from several suitors including Manchester United.

Marcel Brands, Everton’s director of football, announced last week that a contract extension had been agreed in principle with the Brazil international and his representatives. The deal could be signed before Wednesday’s Merseyside derby at Anfield.

The 22-year-old has just under four years remaining on the contract he signed when joining Everton from Watford for £40m in 2018, so the new deal is in effect a 12-month extension on improved terms. But given the interest in his services, and the poor results that have left manager Marco Silva under severe pressure, the agreement will come as a welcome breakthrough for Everton.

The Everton manager said of interest in the Brazilian: “I believe it is not just Manchester United. I believe it is some more. As a club we have to keep our best players. Unfortunately we did not keep one of them in the summer [Idrissa Gana Gueye] but to keep growing and going in the right way we want our most important players, our best players, and we should keep all of them. Then we can keep growing. We don’t see other clubs who want to grow selling their best players. That is what we should do.”

Silva was instrumental in bringing the forward from Vicarage Road and remains close to the player. He believes a new deal for Richarlison offers the stability that Everton have lacked in recent years.

Manchester City to keep Guardiola for years to come, says chairman

Mancheter City manager Pep Guardiola (AFP Photo)

Manchester City wants to keep Pep Guardiola at the helm for many years to come, says the English champions chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak.

Guardiola — who stayed for four seasons with Barcelona and three terms with Bayern Munich — took over at City in 2016 and is under contract till 2021.

The Spaniard — who has guided City to successive league titles and an unprecedented domestic treble last term — nipped speculation in the bud that he would leave at the end of this campaign by saying last week he wanted to stay longer.

This season has been a testing one for him in the title race, though, with Liverpool holding a nine-point lead over City with just over a third of the campaign gone.

student portal/news

Lionel Messi involved in bust up:Argentina vs Uruguay: Edinson Cavani.

Argentina vs Uruguay’s international friendly match ended 2-2 in Israel – Edinson Cavani and Lionel Messi were both involved in a bust up on the pitch – The PSG star was said to have called Lionel Messi out for a fight after an argument Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi was involved in a bust up on the pitch with Edinson Cavani during Argentina’s 2-2 international friendly match draw against Uruguay. Lionel Messi was challenged which made him angry with Edinson Cavani and these two players were then involved in serious argument on the pitch. According to Argentine newspaper, Ole, Edinson Cavani was spotted on camera telling Lionel Messi during the match to fight him.

student portals

Messi-led Argentina arrive in Israel for Uruguay friendly

Lionel Messi and his Argentina teammates arrived in Israel Sunday ahead of a friendly match against Uruguay, nearly 18 months after his side cancelled a match against the Jewish state.

The two South American giants will face off on Monday evening in a match expected to pit Messi against his Barcelona strike partner Luis Suarez. A live webcast showed the Argentina team disembarking from a flight at Ben Gurion airport near Tel Aviv and boarding a team bus on the tarmac, without speaking to cameramen.

At a press conference later in a Tel Aviv hotel, coach Lionel Scaloni said that Messi would play in the match despite a punishing schedule, involving a friendly against Brazil two days before in Saudi Arabia.

“Messi plays,” Scaloni told reporters in Spanish. “So you can stay calm.”He said he would decide the starting lineup at midday Monday after his players had rested.

“They are tired, without any physical problem, but tired,” he said. “So we shall wait until tomorrow at noon.”

Uruguay arrived in Israel on Saturday.

Coach Oscar Tabarez said Sunday that he had been concerned about the trip after seeing images of a flareup in violence which erupted Thursday between Israel and Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip.

The Israeli military said around 450 rockets were fired at its territory during the fighting and air defences intercepted dozens of them in mid-flight.

A ceasefire was declared on Thursday morning but remains fragile.

“I was very worried,” he told journalists. “Because from Montevideo, for example, they sent us photos of missiles that exploded in the air, and we don’t have experience in that.”

Monday’s match comes after the cancellation of a pre-World Cup friendly fixture between Argentina and Israel in June 2018 that came after calls for a boycott.

The match had been due to be played in Jerusalem, sparking Palestinian anger and criticism of Argentina online.

Israel considers Jerusalem its “indivisible” capital, while Palestinians claim the eastern part of the city — occupied by Israel in 1967 and later annexed — as the capital of their future state.

The Palestinian Football Association has not complained about Monday’s friendly game, which is to be held in Tel Aviv.

The BDS movement, which calls for a boycott of Israel over its policies towards Palestinians, condemned the fixture.

Messi received a three-month international suspension for comments he made after Argentina were eliminated from the Copa America in July.

He accused CONMEBOL, the governing body of South American football, of corruption and fixing the tournament for hosts and eventual winners Brazil.He returned to the national team on Friday, scoring the winning goal in Friday’s 1-0 victory over Brazil.

Kevin Durant confirms he suffered ruptured right Achilles

Golden State Warriors star Kevin Durant says on social media he underwent surgery for a ruptured right Achilles tendon.

Durant revealed the severity of his injury Wednesday, two days after getting hurt during Game 5 of the NBA Finals in Toronto in his return after being sidelined for a month with a right calf strain.

The photo posted on Wednesday shows Durant recovering from surgery in a hospital bed.

“My road back starts now!” Durant wrote in the caption. “I got my family and loved ones by my side and we truly appreciate all the messages and support people have sent our way.

“Like I said Monday, I’m hurting deeply, but I’m OK. Basketball is my biggest love and I wanted to be out there that night because that’s what I do. I wanted to help my teammates on our quest for the three peat.

“Its just the way things go in this game and I’m proud that I gave it all I physically could, and I’m proud my brothers got the W. It’s going to be a journey but I’m built for this. I’m a hooper I know my brothers can get this Game 6, and I will be cheering with dub nation while they do it.”

The Warriors also released a statement a few hours later to say the surgery was successful and performed at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York.

Warriors coach Steve Kerr said during Wednesday’s media availability that the team had no idea Durant risked a serious Achilles injury by returning from a strained calf.

“Kevin checked all the boxes,” Kerr said. “He was cleared to play by everybody involved. Now, would we go back and do it over again? Damn right. But that’s easy to say with the results.

“When we gathered all the information, our feeling was the worst thing that could happen would be a re-injure of the calf. That was the advice and the information that we had. At that point, once Kevin was cleared to play, he was comfortable with that, we were comfortable with that. So the Achilles came as a complete shock.”

Stephen Curry can only imagine how much Durant is hurting emotionally not being able to play – but second-guessing benefits nobody at this stage, the two-time MVP said.

Stephen Curry can only imagine how much Durant is hurting emotionally not being able to play – but second-guessing benefits nobody at this stage, the two-time MVP said.The Warriors are determined to win Game 6 of The Finals for Kevin Durant.

Durant left in the second quarter of Game 5 of the NBA Finals, a game Golden State went on to win 106-105 to keep its season alive. The Warriors All-Star forward was seen leaving the arena on crutches and in a walking boot.

He got hurt on a dribble on the right wing, coming up lame on a crossover move and falling to the floor. He grabbed the back of his leg, appeared to grab below the calf and more toward the Achilles area, and needed help to limp to the bench area and more help to get back to the Warriors’ locker room. Warriors forward Andre Iguodala was on Durant’s left side as they made the long walk back to the room, with Warriors GM Bob Myers and Curry in the group immediately behind them.

Players have made comebacks off Achilles surgery, with relative levels of success.

DeMarcus Cousins, Kobe Bryant, and Rudy Gay all came back; Cousins hasn’t regained past form yet. Dominique Wilkins had an Achilles tear happen to him at the peak of his career and he arguably was as good as ever afterward. Elton Brand, now leading the Philadelphia 76ers’ front office, had it as a player and said he was never the same. Christian Laettner went from a star to a role player when his Achilles ripped.

“I’ve been there,” 15-time golf major winner Tiger Woods said Tuesday at the U.S. Open. “I’ve had it to my own Achilles. I’ve had it to my own back. I know what it feels like. It’s an awful feeling. And no one can help you. That’s the hard part.”